Palm Sunday. It's always one of my favorite times of the year. This, along with the darkness of Lent, the intentional time to remember the sorrow and suffering of Christ. How well I remember that Jesus identifies with human loss and human sorrow. Scripture calls him a "man of sorrows." I have been contemplating His deep agony. What it must have been like to feel so utterly alone. I believe that Jesus is God. He and the Father are One. So when he cried out, "my God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" he experienced a full denial and abandonment of self as well. In my life, I have never experienced this complete abandonment. I have been abandoned by many people, and I have suffered... but I have always trusted and believed that God was with me... even if I have not felt Him. For me, it has always been a hope and a faith that I have held dear. But on the cross, Jesus did not even have that. God the Father had turned away. This is desolation, complete loneliness.
Jesus, I know I'm not much of a friend.
My Lord, it breaks my heart to think that you would experience such loneliness.
As much as I am able, I long to love you. I long to be near to you.
I cannot heal your heart, but I am open for you to heal mine.
I cannot save you from your deep sorrow, but you can save me.
I know that I am not much of a friend, but you are a blessed friend to me.
You are all things and we honor you this day.
Your words bless us and move us closer to an awareness of the truth of the suffering of Christ.
ReplyDelete