I am starting a new journey- controversial or no... I am going to read through "God's Politics" by Jim Wallis. Here, I will post some of my thoughts and findings as I journey through the book. Ironically, today is the National Day of Prayer. I haven't cared much for it or paid attention to it in years past... but since the recent declaration that it is unconstitutional... I have begun to think more about it. Is it unconstitutional? What are my thoughts about it. I know what everyone else is screaming... but I'm thinking it through. Today I opened my bible and an underlined verse hit me square: Romans 2:25, "the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you (Jews)." So I was praying about that verse- understanding that so many people are screaming for separation of church and state because the church (or the "you" of that verse) is the reason for their demand. The church has wounded, wounded, wounded. So they are longing to separate and get rid of the church... to get rid of us. Why? Because we fail to lead with grace and love. SO, today I am praying in humility and repentance. Lord, I'm so sorry.
"God's politics reminds us of the people our politics always neglects- the poor, the vulnerable, the left behind. God's politics challenges narrow national, ethnic, economic, or cultural self-interest, reminding us of a much wider world and the creative human diversity of all those made in the image of the creator, God's politics reminds us of the creation itself, a rich environment in which we are to be good stewards, not mere users, consumers, and exploiters. And God's politics pleads with us to resolve the inevitable conflicts among us, as much as is possible, without the terrible cost and consequences of war. God's politics always reminds us of the ancient prophetic prescription to 'choose life, so that you and your children may live,' and challenges all the selective moralities that would choose one set of lives and issues over another." - Jim Wallis (introduction, pg. xix)
No comments:
Post a Comment