Sunday, March 7, 2010

Towers and Battles

Eric and I are huge Lord of the Ring fans. Over the last week, I have been watching the Appendices documentaries for The Two Towers and the making of the movie. The behind-the-scenes info is simply my favorite part of the story. Did you know that Viggo (who plays “Aragorn”) broke his front tooth and two toes during the second movie? Did you know that Orlando (who plays “Legolas”) broke two ribs when he fell off a horse? Did you know that the filming of Helms’ Deep took about four months of filming- only during night hours, midnight after midnight, in the rain (real or artificial), in the cold, in the mud, in sixty-plus pounds of costume?
Why would these actors subject themselves to the torture of the elements, the hypothermia, the broken bones, the long hours, the hell of Hollywood movie-making? For what, fame? Money?
At one point, one of the stuntmen said that he risked his life for the opportunity to be in this movie. It was a “once in a lifetime opportunity,” he said. But could it be that it is more than that? Could it be that everyone involved: actors, office workers, stunt doubles, food prep people, make-up artists, directors, etc., felt that they were part of this grand “story” that looks something quite like the Christian faith?
I admit that I was a bit ashamed, if not convicted, that I often lack the same “want to” (as Pastor Steve would say), stick-to-it stamina that gets me through this grand adventure of faith. Following Jesus is the greatest, most wonderful, hardest, most soul-stretching story that one could ever play through. It’s hard! There will be long, long nights, broken bones, rain and wilderness, intense battles.
This weekend, Pastor Steve’s message resonated with me when he said, “There will be towers to build and battles to fight,” based on Jesus’ story in Luke 14:28-33. Okay... towers and battles... I’ve been watching hours of L.O.R. documentary. I’m there! And he’s right. This is one GRAND story, one amazing adventure that we are blessed and so thankful to be a part of. Will we take the broken bones... sure. Will we stand with Christ in the spiritual trenches- mud up to our knees, rain-soaked through to the core... absolutely. Because it is this great adventure... this great STORY that pushes us forward. It started before time... on through to the garden... on through past prophets and rulers... a small gathering in an upper room... martyrs... the twentieth-century faithful... on to an unknown future... into glory and forever. What a story.

The quote that follows is from the documentary. It sounds a bit like faith, does it not?

“Viggo had this sort of slogan written on a piece of paper above his mirror and it was, ‘Adapt and Overcome.” That sort of philosophy was central to how a lot of us coped with working with Lord of the Rings. Everyone’s gonna have their time when they just go, ‘I just wanna give up’ but never to the point of going, ‘I don’t wanna do this.’ I suppose it’s the same old saying, ‘If it was ever easy, everyone would be doing it.’ In all its parts, it was a tough, sometimes frustrating, but always rewarding experience. You know, it was a big, rolling adventure. Sometimes it was, you know, a juggernaut, that you’re all on top of. You’re holding onto the reins, this thing feels completely out of control but you’re just trying to ride it out. And you look back on it all wondering how the heck you got through all of that work, but you did.”

And we look back upon the expanse of life and see the towers built... and the battles won.
And wouldn’t we work and fight all over again?

Friends, brothers and sisters, keep on.

1 comment: