Tuesday, October 5, 2010

the smell of...

oregano smells like a horse barn to me. It reminds me of the county fair where i modeled the frog jumper that i made- sewed all by myself. where we watched the tractor pulls. where my cousin stole tobacco dip samples and secretly slipped them to me. i hid them under my bed and spit mint tobacco juice out of my window while doing homework. it reminds me of the toothless carnival workers who would shout out at the pretty teen girls, especially my cousin because she had big boobs. the cows and pigs, the grotesque abortion picture booths, the free fly-swatters and yard sticks. and horses. who stood still and bored in their stalls barely a.tune to the commotion going by or the little girls who reached cotton-candy sticky hands up to their velvet noses wishing she could hide away or ride away.

2 comments:

  1. Apples brings me back to when I was younger and everything seemed so hard, looking back now I realize how much simpler it was. I see the apple orchards and all the red ripe apples. I can taste the sweet tartness of fresh pressed apple cider. My finger ache thinking about all the apples my mom peeled to make over 100 apple pies. I would love a piece of my mom's apple pie with some sharp cheddar cheese mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The smell of Chinese food cooking makes me want to move to China.

    ReplyDelete