Wednesday, April 11, 2012
Machine Gun Preacher
Let me confess a vice to you and let you know that I love (and watch regularly) pirated, free movies online. I know, it's terrible. But a couple of weeks ago I ran across a new movie called Machine Gun Preacher. Unlike so many other Christian movies that "are like rainbows deep-fried in happiness, served next to a basket of fries carved from sunshine" (thanks to "Stuff Christians Like" #742), this one really gets down to the hell of sin and human suffering.
Quite honestly, it's painful to watch. But it's real. It's based on a true story.
I watched it having just returned from Haiti and I cried through most of it. At one point, Sam Childers, the main character, started to become calloused and bitter toward life. He was angry because of the death of so many children. He was angry because of the passive arrogance of rich Christians. He was angry because he couldn't do more to save more children. He reminded me of how I felt having just returned from Haiti. Bitter. But then one of the children, who had participated in the death of his own mother- being forced, challenged him to keep his heart soft- to not allow the evil of the world to steal his heart.
This was a turning point for me.
I honestly can't tell you what I think about this movie morally... is it good what he's doing? Is it okay to kill the enemy to save the children? As he says at the end (paraphrasing), "if someone stole your child and I told you that I could get him back... would it matter how I did it?"
Hmmm...
As I go along in life, I realize that I have less and less absolutes and more and more questions. I'm not God, I just love Him. I don't even understand Him most of the time, I just try to follow along with clumbsy steps. As our friend Chuck said, "True reality is that Jesus died on the cross, rose again, and we're supposed to live like him." That's about all I know, too. On every given morning, I struggle to know what Jesus would do about a number of life issues but I try to honor Him and obey as best as I can. You?
So. I'm no longer bitter. But I do feel a strong, passionate desire to make my life count for others instead of simply living for myself. One way I am walking forward is by trying to make a difference in the lives of youth here in Wichita. There are so many ways to get involved... I'm tired of hearing my own excuses. Sex trafficked youth, abandoned youth, fatherless kiddos, lonely kiddos, etc. Kids need attention. They need mentors. They need a safe friend. They need someone to bring them to church. They need a listening ear. They need a warm bed and predictable meals. Sometimes they need a man with a gun shooting down the bad guy. Or in America, putting the bad guy in jail.
Below is an interview with the real Sam Childers. If you get a chance, and want your spiritual eyes to be opened more to what's really going on in the world right now, watch Machine Gun Preacher.
Think about it,
b.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wow!!! Touched deeply and inspired with deep thought.... Thank you, Brittney! Mom Hauck
ReplyDeleteThat's definitely a moving film. I know a LOT of troubled and broken-hearted youth that need someone to walk alongside them. Ask Eric about some of their stories... he prayed for them this morning. Thanks for the post Britt!
ReplyDeleteShane, I was surprised to hear some of the stories... how naively we think those problems don't exist here. Thanks for what you do with the kiddos
ReplyDeleteDietrich Bonhoeffer had a similar philosophy to this guy. As far as whether it's okay to kill in certain circumstances. I'm not sure I agree totally with his ideas in practice everywhere, but if you know anything about him, he was a pastor in Nazi Germany who among other things was involved in multiple plots to kill Hitler. He basically believed that in spite of the fact that the Bible says multiple times that killing and violence and even disrespecting authority is wrong, that he could not in good conscience stand by and let the atrocities happen. He said that he was justified because whatever wrongdoing he committed in pursuit of the end of Hitler's regime, it would be covered by God's mercy. Even if you don't agree with that I think you have to be able to identify with a situation like that and like the machine-gun preacher, and think about what you would do if things like that were happening. Unfortunately, you're right and there aren't nearly enough people doing what they could to help kids like this or the ones on Dave and Lisa's reservations or the ones in our own communities. Your blog is great and I'll stop rambling now:)
ReplyDelete