I have an anchor tattooed on my ankle. It reminds me of the many days I spent with my dad- out on the boat in the hot sun. The mayflies were everywhere landing on the boat tarps. Worms or bits of worm baked on the floor boards. It smelled like dead fish and hot motor oil. Dad had the oldies station playing softly on the panel, a Mountain Dew in the cozie while I pretended to enjoy the day- holding back the fact that I was bored out of my mind and vastly seasick. I love those memories now.Dad could stay out there all day.
We would watch the fish gathering under the boat. When we found a promising spot for a full catch Dad would drop anchor. Because any boat can be blown away- even on the calmest of days. Sometimes the wind doesn't even affect it... the boat will simply glide away carried on the current. We don't even realize it is happening.
And isn't that like Christ? To anchor us in one place. We are so prone to casual wandering, gliding, slowly floating away. His Word is my anchor. I've been thinking a lot lately about TRUTH. I think life would be miserable- no- I know it is miserable without God's truth because I have seen it lived out in the lives of agnostic friends. One in particular has nothing- outside of himself-to counter the false things he believes about himself. He believes them to be TRUTH but they are destroying him. There has to be something- outside of ourselves- that anchors us to something larger than ourselves.
This has been my question lately... how can anyone heal outside of God's truth? I would think that healing would only be temporary at best. So when I am at school this Fall they will teach me- what?- good listening skills and therapy techniques but the Holy Spirit changes the heart... offering permanent, lasting, healing TRUTH and wholeness. I'm wondering how the two will blend... these are just ponderings.
This is why I also love 1 Timothy 5:18, "For we are co-laborers together with God." I can do nothing on my own strength or even my own education. The Holy Spirit will work with me. I like that. I work with Him. That also means I don't have to carry any one's burdens on my own strength or fix any one's problems. He is my foreman... we labor together.
until soon,
b.
Beautiful, Britt! An anchor can represent a blessed memory or it can hold us back with resentments because life didn't go our way. May the Spirit open hurt peoples' ears through your words. Thanks.
ReplyDeletealso true, Terry. thanks for commenting
ReplyDelete