Tuesday, June 12, 2012

... and in other news


A civil war is raging in Syria.  Children are reportedly being burned alive in the streets and being used as human shields against opposition. 



... in other news:  some city, some where wins the Stanley Cup. 


I watch the news or listen to talk radio almost every day.  Today, this struck me as such a violent dichotomy.  In Syria, children are being burned alive and used (by the military) as human shields.  ... and somewhere in America (because I don't really care), a sports team won the Stanley Cup.  But look at the pictures.  Look at the emotion on their faces.  Okay, they're excited and they are allowed to be.  But it's a sport.  a sports team.  What do you think the parents of the slain children's faces look like?  Picture their grief.  Picture their agony.  Picture their rage.

Isn't it sad, even devastating, that these two events can be happening at the exact same time?  I'm not saying it's wrong to love sports and cheer for your favorite team but it's simply entertainment that we tend to distort into something we feel incredible passion for.  What if these men and women turned their passionate zeal for a game into passionate rage against injustice. 

I wonder.  Are you angry that children are being murdered?  I am.  What can we do about it?

until soon,
b.

No comments:

Post a Comment