Friday, August 3, 2012

Sidewalk Protest Observations

Tonight I stood on the sidewalk in front of Chick-fil-A and held a sign that said, "Apology and kisses here."  Today was National Same-Sex Kiss Day at all Chick locations so Eric, Brandon, and I took some Hershey kisses and bottled water down to the Chick joint to show the love of Jesus.  When we arrived I went inside and asked the manager if it was okay with them if we stood out front.  They were very kind and gracious to us all evening.  At several different occasions, the owner came out with trays of water and free sandwiches (which the LGBT community refused to eat- so guess how many sandwiches we have in our fridge- HA!). 

I started to feel very discouraged.  Why are we doing this?  Does it matter?  Will anyone notice?  Are we making a difference?  We stood on the sidewalk for about 10 minutes when 6 young ladies (gay and very warm to us) walked up and introduced themselves.  We explained our sign and told them that we are followers of Jesus, apologizing for the way some Christians in the media have been hateful and hurtful in the past week.  We gave them "kisses" and they all said thank you so much, we really appreciate that! and hugged us.  They then grabbed a few of our "Jesus loves you" signs and stood on the sidewalk waving to cars that drove by. 

Two hours later and the crowd continued to grow.  I guess there was a "National Same-Sex Kiss Day" gathering that was planned for that same venue at 7pm that we didn't know about.  God knew.  To every new person that arrived, we explained to them why we were there.  We gave them kisses and shared the love of Jesus.  I looked into their eyes.  I saw a beautiful person.  Created in the image of God.  Loved by God. 

Still, it was a sad evening for me.  I can't tell you how many people drove by and gave them the "bird," and I don't mean chicken.  Several people drove up and asked why my sign said, "Apology and kisses here."  What does your sign mean?  What is the apology?  I think they assumed that I was a part of the crowd, perhaps a lesbian who was standing there ready to apology to Chick-fil-A for our bad behavior.  They were surprised when I explained that I was apologizing for bad Christian behavior.  One man was obviously outraged.  How can you apologize for that?  he demanded,  God doesn't love them.  They are the ones sinning.  He will judge them.  I just smiled and asked him if he wanted a kiss.  As he drove away I said, "Come back again if you would like to talk more!"  (smile)  It's all good.

Unfortunately, I saw and heard what the LGBT community gets all of the time.  Frowning faces, shaking their heads or their fists, pointing up toward heaven (are they supposed to know what that means?).  I asked them if this was like any other normal day for them.  One girl said, "You should see what it's like whenever we go into any store... even WalMart.  People scowling at us and whispering.  My own parents disowned me.  I never see them anymore.  And they were Christians."  All too often, this is the story. 

One particular lady looked like she had had a rough life.  She was dressed like a man and helped my son opened his Popsicle with her large pocketknife.  She was very kind and appreciative.  I want to show you something, she said and opened her phone, it's my daily devotional.  I get it twice a day on my phone.  I have read so much Scripture.  God is the only one that keeps me going. 

As I stood there with them I thought about the words Pastor Steve spoke not long ago:

 "I have never seen a motive."

Everyone standing there had a story.  And the truth is, I don't know their story.  I don't know what led them into homosexuality.  I don't know their hurts, their abandonments, or their hopes.  But their God knows.  And just like you and me, they will someday stand before their God.  They need to know that Jesus saves. 
That Jesus loves.
That Jesus forgives.

Who will tell them?
It's okay if you disagree with- just think it through.

Until soon and with love,
b.

PS- just to reiterate, the owner at the East Chick-fil-A was amazing.  A big thanks to him for being an great witness. 


 



9 comments:

  1. Wow... I really respect you for that.

    I was thinking the other day, some good questions for all Christians to ask themselves is...

    In the scene of Jesus, the Pharisees, and the woman caught in adultery, which one are you?

    In the scene of Jesus, the Canaanite woman, and the annoyed disciples, which one are you?

    In the scene of Jesus, the spiteful, self-righteous Christians, and the gay person, which one are you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me cry to hear the love u have for those that are not the same as you! While I still don't think that god gave me a choice to be attracted to the same sex and that I truly was made in his image just the way I am and he loves me because I love him, and have accepted him in my heart years ago. Thank you for your kindness and compassion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Jana, thank you. Good questions. Which story has the "gay person?" That is intriguing. To Anonymous, there is much I do not understand. Why some (if not all of us) are predispositioned to a certain "behavior" or way of life that the Bible calls sinful. Why we are born with a sinful nature (or flesh) that we would spend the rest of our lives battling against. Why Jesus said, "I do not condemn you," but also, "Go and sin no more." We are all well aware of our own sin before God. and because of that, i choose to love. Thank you for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its really sad to see people who say they are Believers in Christ but turn around & live their lives how ever they want too. I've been guilty of this also. Either they have not been discipled & are immature as a result, or they never really accept Christ as Savior to begin with. They just wanted fire insurance. Yes it is frustrating to see the the Church get persecuted. God's word does say persecution will increase in the last days just prior to Christ's return to take us home. On that same note the Sheep will be separated from the goats (Matthew 25:31)

    !! Much Love in Christ: Eric !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't have said it better. And thank you everyone for your loving comments. All I can say is I can't get the Casting Crowns song, "Jesus, Friend of Sinners" out of my head lately.

    "Nobody knows what we're for only what we're against when we judge the wounded,

    What if we put down our signs crossed over the lines and love like You did?

    Oh Jesus friend of sinners
    Open our eyes to the world at the end of our pointing fingers
    Let our hearts be led by mercy
    Help us reach with open hearts and open doors
    Oh Jesus friend of sinners break our hearts for what breaks yours

    You love every lost cause; you reach for the outcast
    For the leper and the lame; they're the reason that You came
    Lord I was that lost cause and I was the outcast
    But you died for sinners just like me a grateful leper at Your feet."

    Highlight the part - "sinners just like me".

    ReplyDelete
  6. <3 he so loved us he gave his Son. All, not just some, have fallen short of his Glory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whenever I read of these debates and struggles, my thoughts turn back to Romans 1:18-32, where Paul makes it evident that our desires to pursue the things we want in life lead us to water down God's desires for us so that we can rationalize and justify our actions. This seems so complicated, yet Paul witnessed it then so clearly just as we are seeing it now. So, I pray all the more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the only thing I've read about Chik-fil-A throughout these past few weeks. I know nothing about who is against whom or who is for whom, and I am not at all interested in knowing more than what you wrote here.

    The only reason I read your post is because my friend, Alana, wrote that she agreed with what you wrote. I'm always interested in what she's interested in, and I am happy to report that I completely agree with her statement.

    May I just add a heartfelt "Well done", my friends? Jesus didn't choose sides against people, and you didn't either. Really, well done. I just can't say it enough...you acted just like Jesus...loving the unlovable on both sides of the issues, really not taking issue.

    Thank you for showing love. I especially love the "kisses and apology" part. I hope you don't mind if I borrow your idea in the near future. Peace and joy to you both, and may you find abundance everywhere you go. ~Angela

    ReplyDelete
  9. It’s pretty scary to think that Dan Cathy, COO of Chick-fil-A fell under vicious attack simply because he believes the Bible and God’s definition of marriage. He basically stated that he feared for America, that we deserved God’s judgment, and that he supported traditional marriage.

    ReplyDelete