I was raised patriotic. My sister and I were the children at the parade who stood up when the flag went by- even if no one else stood. We were taught to respect the veterans, respect the flag, and to sing loud when the anthems were played. I'm still patriotic. I love America. I love the freedom we have here- freedom to live in safety, freedom to worship as we feel led, freedom to speak out about what we like or dislike. Those of us who live in this beautiful country and follow Jesus say, "God Bless the USA" believing that He will, indeed, bless us and establish His Kingdom here on earth- even within America. We pray for it constantly.
We also know that America is the country where we were born (and for that we are grateful) but that our true Kingdom reaches far beyond the borders of the USA. God is not American. When Christians suffer in Asia, we suffer with them. When Christians suffer in the Middle East, we suffer with them. And so it is all over the world.
And in this election year, we do well to remember that God is also not Republican- or Democrat. God is above labels and parties. We cannot claim God's favor above all others simply because we belong to a certain country, or a certain church, or a certain race, or a certain political party. God is God alone. We respect our country, we respect our flag, we respect our national leaders- we worship our God.
We worship our God.
until soon,
b.
Well said! Thank you.
ReplyDelete