I am taking a class through the Center for Journal Therapy. One of my recent assignments was to eavesdrop on another conversation and write about it. I wrote a poem about the converation that I heard but now I notice interesting conversations everywhere I go. This happened to me just recently as I was waiting to get my oil changed. A lady walked in and immediately started talking- without even saying hello- she seemed to have an agenda. It went something like this:
Dude: Can I help you?
Lady: Yeah, my sister called in for me yesterday to get me an appointment.. She called one store and they gave her the number for this store then she called this store and someone said you had an appointment for this morning around this time and I think it was 9 or 10 but she called yesterday before you closed so it may have been around 2 or 3 when she called but I'm not sure...
Dude: Okay, what's your phone number?
Lady: It's xxx-xxxx but that might not be in the system because like I said my sister called for me and besides my phone just got turned off because I couldn't pay the phone bill and my no-good man said he would get me another one but that was last week and he didn't get his check yet...
Dude: Alright, let me look it up by your name...
Lady: It's Sylvia Jackson but it might say Sylvia Thompson because I just got married.
Dude: Yeah, it's in here... it says Sylvia Jackson. Your appointment was for 8:30 this morning.
Lady: Well you can just leave it in there as Sylvia Jackson because I just got married but I'm plannin to be about divorced soon so just leave it in there like that. Oh, you said 8:30, huh? Well, I told that guy on the phone that I couldn't come in at 8:30 because I couldn't catch the bus and I'd have to have someone come pick me up and someone else to drive the car here and then I would have to get to work so he said 10:30 and I said that's good but maybe he didn't put it in like that so how about it... can you get me in now?
Dude: Well, we're pretty busy now. The soonest I can get you in is after 4:30 this afternoon.
Lady: Oh 4:30 huh? Well, yeah, go ahead and put me down for then but I'll try to get another ride up here but I'm not so sure I can make it in time so if I don't make it can you just put me down for another time tomorrow, too?
Dude: If you can't make it at 4:30 we can reschedule then.
Lady: (blank stare as if waiting for some other reaction... or hand-out)
Dude: Is that all I can help you with, then?
Lady: Alright then.
Okay, so I was listening to this conversation just trying so hard not to laught. I had my notebook out and was trying to write down everything that was being said. So what's the point? Nothing. It was just funny and I thought I would share. Look around and listen to the lives of others today.
If you're looking to take a great writing class, check out the Center for Journal Therapy... it's fun.
http://www.journaltherapy.com/
How old was she? She seemed more than a tad scatter-brained. As an aside, if you could keep up with THAT conversation, then maybe you should be a court reporter!
ReplyDeletehaha :)
ReplyDeleteI know, right? She was maybe late 30s? I just thought it was so hilarious how much information she spilled out in about 3 minutes... she covered her ride situation, her marriage and divorce... funny stuff.
ReplyDeletewow. you eves drop better than my dad... that IS amazing!!
ReplyDeleteI wonder how often I spill out WAY more useless information when I am asking a question or explaining what I need... does the clerk really need to know that I am taking my boys on a hiking trip in the grand canyon and we will be gone for 5 days and we have been training and they got new hiking boots and Jesus blessed us with exaclty the right size at goodwill and they walked to school in the new boots with sombreros on their heads because it is spirit week at their school for state assessment tests and my son got a 100% on his test?.... o man.... I think that sylvia and I might have the same disease... what my wife must put up with....
The world would be a far more boring place if everyone was totally reserved! LOL. If you had to choose, would you err on the side of too much or too little conversation? Hopefully I'm not that bad, but I can relate--hubby tells me I could talk to a brick wall! This lady may have just needed someone to talk to and had no one, so she spilled her guts to the autoshop guy. Or she may be ADHD, like Eric :-), or just really wound up. But these people make life more interesting for the rest of us, especially those of us that know we might be that same lady on another day or circumstance....
ReplyDelete