"Watch out! Don't do your good deeds publicly, to be admired by others... Give your gifts in private, and your Father, who sees everything, will reward you." Matthew 6:1, 4
This morning Pastor Nick gave a message about this Scripture, continuing on a series of messages on the Sermon on the Mount. I was really challenged on a few levels.
First, I admit that I have had ridiculous thoughts about "rewards" in Heaven- I can eat as much as I want and never get fat. I will have a huge contemporary house on the beach with angels as maids and servants. I will be able to transport myself to anywhere, anytime- even exploring the stars and far corners of space... etc. My children think Heaven will be an endless supply of Legos, Pokemon, and video time. Yet Nick reminded us that Jesus said, "The Kingdom of Heaven is at hand," meaning, Heaven is NOW so your reward is NOW. I immediately thought of Haiti. I thought of a little orphan boy named Job (pronounced "Job"- like the place you work). He and I became good friends last week. Maybe it's because I'm a mother of boys but I tend to love the rough and tumble way of boys and would throw him around, fling him upside down, tickle him, and bite on his neck while he giggled and giggled and giggled... it was so sweet. Toward the end of the week, he would come running to me whenever I arrived at the orphanage and would smother me with little snotty kisses and wrap his arms and legs around me like a spider monkey.
This is the reward. I sat in church today remembering him- and crying.
The Lord knows what our hearts really want. True, I want to eat only chocolate and pizza for eternity without any consequences. And I would really love a house on the beach someday that I never have to clean- with no dust, no mess, and music filling every room. But at the core of me, I want something much more simplistic and real. I want the love of the Lord. I want to feel it without ceasing. I want to know it in every relationship in my life. I want to see it in the eyes of children and friends. I want my family with me forever and ever. I want to see my sons basking in the Spirit of the Son- including Canaan, who awaits me on the other side.
... and your Father, who sees everything, will reward you. (vs. 4)
... and your Father, who sees everything, will reward you. (vs. 6)
... and your Father knows exactly what you need even before you ask him. (vs. 8)
... and your Father, who sees everything, will reward you. (vs. 18)
Our Father, who is kind and good and perfect in love and justice and righteousness, will reward.
Ponder: What reward would you ask for? What do you want as eternal inheritance?
until soon,
b.
i want an afro as my reward.
ReplyDelete